PROGRAMME FOR IMPROVING FISHERIES GOVERNANCE
AND BLUE ECONOMY TRADE CORRIDORS IN SADC REGION (PROFISHBLUE)
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (REOI)
FISHERIES MANAGEMENT AND INDUSTRIAL OFFICER (Individual consultant)
Grant Number: 2100155041083
Date: 04 October 2022
- The Southern African Development Community (SADC) Secretariat has received financing from the African Development Bank (AfDB), being a grant under the African Development Fund (ADF) to finance the Programme for Improving Fisheries Governance and Blue Economy Trade Corridors in SADC region (PROFISHBLUE). The Secretariat plans to apply part of the agreed amount for this grant to payments under the contract for FISHERIES MANAGEMENT AND INDUSTRIAL OFFICER.
- The Fisheries Management and Industrial Officer position will be placed under the authority of the Project Coordinator. He/she will be responsible for coordinating blue economy activities related to fisheries, aquaculture, watershed management and climate resilience. He/she will be based at the SADC Secretariat in Gaborone, Botswana and within the Project Implementing Unit (PIU) of the PROFISHBLUE project based in the Directorate of Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources (FANR). The contract will be for a duration of 3 years, however, the consultant will only be retained after satisfactory performance evaluation at the end of each year within the contract.
- He or she will work in collaboration with multiple SADC Directorates as well as national fisheries/aquaculture agencies including Forestry, Land Use, Environmental Affairs, Gender, Youth, Local Government, Trade and Industry, etc. The Officer will also oversee the environmental compliance and seek advice from the Project Coordinator in monitoring cross-cutting activities across the three components.
- Scope of Work:
- Coordination and technical supervision of all project activities on fisheries, aquaculture, watershed management and climate resilience;
- Planning of transboundary resource management programs and value chain activities in consultation with the members of the PIU and Project Management Support Unit (PMSU) team;
- Coordination of the activities of other members of the technical team and partners involved, by participating in the participatory approach supporting all activities of the project;
- Coordination of the annual programming of the fisheries, aquaculture and value chain activities;
- Promoting for the different types of interventions, inclusive practices favoring the proper maintenance and good management of quality seed production and brood stock development;
- Monitoring the execution of fisheries/watershed activities and liaise with other implementing partner such as FAO, UNIDO, WorldFish (WF), WWF, etc;
- Production of technical files (Bidding documents (BD), TORs, technical reports, etc.) related to fisheries related workplan;
- Contribution to the selection and recruitment of the various service providers (design and control offices, companies) to work on the project;
- Monitoring the quality control of studies and works related to consulting firms;
- Participation in the identification of key monitoring and evaluation indicators related to the management of facilities and infrastructures in his sector;
- Development of the procurement plan of goods services and works planned in his field;
- Participate in the monitoring and evaluation of the project;
- Preparation of periodic reports of activities and timely transmission to the PMSU Coordination;
- Constant search for beneficiary ownership of project achievements;
- Mainstreaming gender and implementation of women focused activities in fisheries and Watershed Management. activities;
- Oversee the implementation of activities related to climate change (both adaptation and mitigation) embedded in project design and co-financing opportunities;
- Oversee the implementation of the stakeholder engagement plan, as well as the operationalization of the grievance redress mechanism; and
- Provide training / orientation to other project staff on the contents of the project, and their various responsibilities.
- The SADC Secretariat now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested individual consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services. The consultant must have the following qualification, essential skills and competencies:
- Minimum Master’s Degree in Fisheries Management.
- Expertise in fisheries management, science and policy with experience in fisheries and aquaculture; value chain and seafood trade, and biodiversity conservation;
- At least 10 years of professional experience with high responsibilities in the field of management of projects for fisheries and aquaculture projects;
- Demonstrated successful experience in conducting and managing natural resource development projects funded by multilateral donors including the African Development Bank (AfDB);
- Good knowledge of the problem of design, maintenance and management of fisheries equipment in the interest of sustainability of investments;
- Desired experience or knowledge of AfDB rules and procedures (procurement and disbursements);
- Ability to work with various government departments, companies, other projects, NGOs, associations and producer groups and cooperatives; and
- Good computer skills (including Word, Excel, MS Project, Access, etc.).
- Eligibility criteria, establishment of the short-list and the selection procedure shall be in with the Bank’s Procurement Policy for Bank Group Funded Operations dated October 2015 and in line with the provisions stated in the Grant Agreement. The Bank’s Procurement Policy is available on the Bank’s website at http://www.afdb.org. Terms of Reference (TORs) will be shared with all short-listed candidates.
- Consultants will be Evaluated basing on criteria below:
Level of education in general 10%
Educational level compared to the field of mission 30%
Years of experience in general 20%
Number of years of experience relevant to the mission 40%
Only applicants scoring 75 points and above shall be considered for the shortlist. Not more than 2 candidates from the same country shall be short-listed. All the consultants shall be ranked and the highest ranked consultant will be selected for the said assignment if agreement is reached on the price and other terms of the ensuing contract.
- Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Botswana time.
- Expressions of interest must be submitted electronically via this LINK: https://collab.sadc.int/s/BMtEbHmk3rbiyfN (midnight Botswana time) on 25th October 2022 and mention “Fisheries Management and Industrial Officer”.
The Procuring entity: SADC Secretariat
Contact person: Acting Head of Procurement
Southern African Development Community (SADC) Secretariat
Plot 54385 New CBD
Private Bag 0095
Telephone: +267 3951863
Fax: +267 3972848