The Regional Awareness and Communication Strategy for the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Water Sector fulfils the call for establishing sector specific strategies and crafting, packaging and dissemination of messages and themes, which should be based on but not limited to SADC priority intervention areas.
This strategy is basically expanding the SADC Communication Programme of Action presented in the SADC Communications and Promotional Strategy by outlining a communication agenda for the SADC Water Division and the Water Sector as a whole.
The strategy aims to communicate a range of key messages, with details of SADC activities in each area:
- The Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) Approach
- SADC Instruments for Regional Cooperation on Water
- Climate Change, Variability and Water-Related Disasters
- Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene
- Transboundary Water Resources Management
- Water Demand Management
- Sustainable Water Resource Development and Management
The strategy identifies primary target audiences and communication methods and tools, as well as a plan for implementation.