Dr Thembinkosi Mhlongo was appointed as SADC Deputy Executive Secretary for Regional Integration (DES-RI) at the extraordinary meeting of the SADC Council of Ministers held in Malawi in October 2013.
A national of the Republic of South Africa, Dr Mhlongo has previously served the Secretariat as the SADC Chief Director in 2001-2005. He is married with two children.
- PHD Economics, York,1991-1994
- MSc Economics, Bradford, 1989-1990
- MSc Economics, Moscow, 1979-1985
Short - Term Training:
- Venture Capital Management, Commonwealth Development Corporation (one week),1999
- Senior Executive Management, Harvard Business School & Wits Business School(8 weeks),2000
- Head of Programmes, Southern Africa Trust, 2009-2013 (October);
- Advisor: Regional Integration, Southern Africa Trust, 2007-2009;
- Consultant, Research done for: WB, SARPN,2007-2009;
- Chief Director, SADC Secretariat, Botswana, Department of Strategic Planning, Gender & Policy Harmonisation,2006;
- Chief Director, Department of Trade and Industry, RSA,2001-2005;
- Director, Department of Trade and Industry, RSA,1996-1998;
- Manager, Industrial Development Corporation, RSA,1998;
- Supervisor, Richards Bay Minerals, 1977.
- National Skills Development Strategy, Skills Development Act and Skills Levy Act, Department of Labour,1996-1999;
- National Research and Technology Audit, Department of Arts, Culture, Science and Technology,1998-1999;
- Support Programme For Industrial Innovation, Department of Trade and Industry,1998-2001;
- Technology for Human Resource in Industry Programme, Department of Trade and Industry, 1998-2001;
- Partnership for Industrial Innovation, Department of Trade and Industry, 2000-2001;
- Innovation Fund Trust (Trustee), Department of Arts, Culture, Science and Technology,1999-2001;
- Local Economic Development (Board Member), National Business Initiative, 1999-2001;
- Trade and Industrial Policy Trust (Board Member), Department of Trade and Industry , 1997-2001.
Other Accomplishments & Assignments:
- South Africa’s membership of UNIDO and OECD, Department of Trade and Industry, 1997-1998;
- National Empowerment Fund and National Empowerment Fund Act, Department of Trade and Industry,1997-1998;
- Black Economic Empowerment Strategy and Black Economic Empowerment Act, Department of Trade and Industry,1999-2001;
- Setting up the Department of Strategic Planning, Gender & Policy Harmonisation, SADC Secretariat,2001-2005;
- Regional Indicative Strategic Development Plan, SADC Secretariat,2002-2003;
- SADC HIV & AIDS Five-Year Strategic Business Plan, SADC Secretariat,2003-2004;
- Establishment of a SADC-Donor Coordination mechanism, SADC Secretariat,2003-2004;
- Coordinated SADC-AfDB Regional Integration Assistance Strategy, SADC-AfDB, 2004-2005;
- Establishment of SADC Project Preparation and Development Fund, SADC Secretariat, 2004-2005;
- Establishment of SADC Project Investment Fund, SADC Secretariat, 2007-2008;
- SADC International Conference on Poverty and Development, Southern Africa Trust,2007-2008;
- SADC Regional Poverty Reduction Framework, Southern Africa Trust, 2008-2009;
- SADC Regional Poverty Observatory, Southern Africa Trust, 2009;
- Inclusive Business (B4D: Business for Development), Southern Africa Trust, 2009;
- Leadership for Change, Southern Africa Trust, 2009;
- Regional Youth Exchange: sayXchange, Southern Africa Trust, 2010.
Areas of Key Competence/Skills/Experience
- Regional Integration;
- Strategic Planning, Gender & Policy Harmonisation;
- Industry & Technology Strategy;
- Policy Analysis & Strategy;
- Economic Research and Development;
- Research Supervision.