The Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources (FANR) Directorate of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Secretariat is tasked with the coordination and harmonisation of agricultural policies and programmes in the SADC region, in line with priorities in the Regional Indicative Strategic Development Plan (RISDP).
In order to deliver on its programmes within the areas of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environment, the Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources is coordinated through the following technical units:
- Environment and Sustainable Development
- Food Security comprising:
- Crop Development,
- Livestock Development,
- Agricultural Information Management; and
- Agriculture Research and Development.
- Natural Resources Management - responsible for overseeing the Wildlife Office; and
- SADC Plant Genetics Resources Centre
The Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources Directorate is located within the portfolio of the Deputy Executive Secretary: Regional Integration.
The vision of the Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources Directorate is to strive to be reputable, efficient and a responsive enabler of regional integration and sustainable development.
The mission of the Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources Directorate is to provide expertise in developing strategic policies aimed at accelerating Regional Integration, supporting sustainable development and coordinating regional harmonisation.
The overall objective of the Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources Directorate is to develop, promote, coordinate and facilitate harmonisation of specific policies and programmes to increase agricultural and natural resources production and productivity, and to promote trade, ensure food security and sustainable economic development in the SADC region.
The Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources Directorate has the following specific key functions:
- Development, promotion and facilitation of agricultural policy harmonisation, taking into account gender equity in all strategies and programmes;
- Ensuring sustainable food security policies and programmes;
- Development, promotion and harmonisation of biodiversity, phytosanitary, sanitary, crop production and animal husbandry policies;
- Development of measures to increase agricultural output of agro-based industries;
- Development, promotion and facilitation of harmonised policies and programmes aimed at achieving effective and sustainable utilisation of natural resources such as water, wildlife, fisheries, and forestry;
- Development and facilitation of harmonised and sound environmental management policies; and
- Promotion of trade in agricultural products.
The Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources Priority Areas under which activities are planned and implemented to fulfil its mandate are as follows:
- Food availability;
- Access to food;
- Promotion of improved safety and nutritional value of food;
- Disaster preparedness and awareness for food security;
- Equitable and sustainable use of the environment and natural resources; and
- Institutional framework strengthening and capacity building
Programmes and Projects
- The Protocol on Wildlife Conservation and Law Enforcement
- The Protocol on Fisheries
- The Protocol on Forestry
- SADC Policy Paper on Climate Change: Assessing the Policy Options for SADC Member States - English / French / Portuguese