REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL SELECTION)
COUNTRY: SADC Region
NAME OF PROJECT: Southern African Power Pool Program for Accelerating Transformational Energy Projects Grant No.: H9890
Assignment Title: Coordinator/ Project Transaction Advisor
The World Bank is preparing a Program with the Southern Africa Power Pool (SAPP) to help accelerate preparation of priority regional power generation and transmission projects in the region of the Southern African Power Pool. The Program Development Objective is “to facilitate the preparation of priority regional energy projects in the Southern African Power Pool region”.
As part of this initiative, the SADC Secretariat through SAPP intends to procure the services of the technical experts on energy infrastructure projects to support and be part of the Directorate of Infrastructure for a period of up to 3 years.
Scope of work
The Coordinator/Project Transaction Advisor shall formally report to the Director of Infrastructure. In addition, the Expert will work closely with SAPP, leading work and providing regular input into the specific areas for the assignment, as well as with other designated consultant working for the energy infrastructure projects such as SADC PPDF and AfDB to deliver any necessary infrastructure development assignment. The deliverables will include, but not limited to:
- Produce an inception report with a comprehensive work plan to achieve the objectives of the programme;
- Report progress of the work plan through monthly, quarterly, half yearly and annual reports;
- Identify gaps, risks and challenges on the energy infrastructure projects undergoing preparation and development by SAPP PAU, SADC PPDF and other associated PPFs;
- Develop workplans to address the bottlenecks identified to fast track projects preparation, development and implementation activities;
- Produce Project Information Memoranda (PIMs) for projects under the portfolio, where applicable;
- Promote and ensure SADC visibility on all projects supported by the SADC under the portfolio;
- Demonstrate clearly the fast tracking of at least two (2) energy projects to bankability;
- Ensure establishment and operationalisation of dedicated project implementation units and project steering committees at Member States level for the identified priority projects, to ensure accountability and timely implementation of projects. Where feasible, propose project implementation structures like Special Purpose Vehicles (SPVs);
- Develop a programme on capacity development, training, knowledge sharing and dissemination, technical advice, peer reviews; and
- Produce a tool to track and monitor progress on projects.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- At least a Master’s degree or equivalent experience in their respective field of specialisation (such as infrastructure economics, infrastructure finance, engineering etc.) with a focus on energy/power;
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years relevant professional experience in (i) planning, preparation and development of infrastructure projects; (ii) specific and sound knowledge of project cycle implementation principles (iii) demonstrable experience in task managing projects (iv) knowledge and experience with regional infrastructure projects in the SADC Region and at continental level;
- Relevant professional experience in project management and financing in the public, private sectors as well as development finance institutions;
- Practical, hands-on experience in the preparation and development of transboundary or regional energy projects;
- Proven ability to interact competently with regional and national organizations / institutions, other RECs and donor agencies as well as private sector on issues relating to aid coordination, infrastructure strategies and project development;
- Proven ability to lead technical professional teams and utilize talent and expertise of team members in a productive way to achieve desired objectives;
- Proven experience in appraising and supervising projects;
- Good listening and communication skills with demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas as well as make effective and timely decisions including capacity to initiate and manage innovations and change;
- Competence in the use of standard software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, MS Projects);
- Competence in (or ability/willingness to become quickly familiar with) the use of various tools available and applied by the SADC Secretariat and supporting cooperating partners; and
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. A good working knowledge of Portuguese and French languages will be an added advantage.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consulting method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
Further information can be obtained through email during office hours from Monday to Friday [ 09:00 to 16:00 hours].
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the email address below by 05 June, 2020 at 15:00 hours Central African time and mention "Expression of Interest for Consultancy Services for the Coordinator/ Project Transaction Advisor “
Address and Contact:
Southern African Power Pool
Attention: Thembekani Luthuli, SAPP-PAU Procurement Specialist
Tel: +27 10 446 9600
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org