COMESA SECRETARIAT, LUSAKA, ZAMBIA
TRIPARTITE CAPACITY BUILDING PROGRAMME, PHASE II
GENERAL PROCUREMENT NOTICE
1. The Common Market of Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) has received funding from the African Development Bank (AfDB) towards funding of the Tripartite Capacity Building Programme (TCBP), phase II.
2. The objective of the programme is to support the Tripartite Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and their Regional Member Countries (RMCs) to operationalize the Tripartite Free Trade Area (TFTA), a major milestone for Africa integration. The TFTA consolidates the markets of three RECs, namely COMESA, EAC (East African Community) and SADC (Southern Africa development Community) to address the challenge of fragmented markets and proliferation of non-tariff barriers, which inhibit cross border trade. Together, these three (3) RECs cover a USD 1.3 trillion market representing 56% of Africa’s GDP and approximately 740 million consumers in 29 Countries. The key outputs from the Bank’s intervention will be the development of guidelines, procedures, regulations and manuals required to operationalize the Agreement in areas such as rules of origin and dispute settlement. The Programme will also support the establishment of online databases for non-tariff measures in Tripartite RMCs, building on the pilots under Phase I. This will improve transparency in trade, speed up the resolution of non-tariff barriers (NTBs), deter arbitrary application of regulatory measures that hinder trade, and improve awareness of traders about legitimate regulatory requirements, which provides a foundation for them to improve their capacity for compliance. The programme will enhance awareness of traders and the business community on the market access opportunities now availed by the Agreement, with a view to effectively harnessing such opportunities.
3. The programme has the following components:
3.1 Component I: Improving the Capacity to Implement the TFTA agreement:
This componentwill support capacity building of the three (3) RECs and businesses in the tripartite countries on areas critical to operationalize the TFTA Agreement. It will focus on the development of guidelines, regulations and manuals for all the 10 Annexes to the TFTA Agreement, training on TFTA Rules of Origin, Stakeholder sensitization on the TFTA Agreement (including preparation and dissemination of user friendly versions of the guidelines and dissemination through the 50 Million Women Speak platform), support negotiations on the Tripartite built-in agenda focusing on Trade in Services and Competition Policy.
3.2. Component 2: Improving transparency in trade to tackle non-tariff barriers in the TFTA:
This component will support the roll out of NTMs (Non Tariff Measures) databases to remaining Tripartite countries (in addition to the 9 covered in phase I), establish a Tripartite Simplified Trade Regime, and disseminate information on TFTA to increase awareness of traders, and especially women, on the TFTA trade rules and opportunities.
COMESA Secretariat will be procuring the following consultancy services under the Programme:
i. Programme Coordinator (individual consultant)
ii. Rules of Origin Expert (individual consultant)
iii. Non Tariff Barriers (NTBs) Expert (individual consultant)
iv. External Auditor (consulting firm)
4. The acquisition of consulting services, financed by the Bank for the programme, will be carried out in accordance with the “Procurement Framework for Bank Group Funded Operations”, dated October 2015.
5. Requests for Expressions of Interest for the acquisition of various services are expected to be issued in July 2020.
6. Interested consultants may obtain further information and should confirm their interest by contacting:
The Head of Procurement
Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa
Ben Bella Road
P. o Box 30051
Telephone: +260 211 229726/29
Fax; +260 211 225107