REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL SELECTION)
COUNTRY: SADC Region
NAME OF PROJECT: Southern African Power Pool Program for Accelerating Transformational Energy
Projects Grant No.: H9890
Assignment Title: Formulation of the SADC Regional Infrastructure Development Master Plan (RIDMP) Short Term Action Plan (STAP) II - Energy Chapter 2021-2027
The World Bank is preparing a Program with the Southern Africa Power Pool (SAPP) to help accelerate preparation of priority regional power generation and transmission projects in the region of the Southern African Power Pool. The Program Development Objective is “to facilitate the preparation of priority regional energy projects in the Southern African Power Pool region”.
As part of this initiative, the SADC Secretariat through SAPP intends to procure the services of the Consultant for the formulation of the SADC Regional Infrastructure Development Master Plan (RIDMP) Short Term Action Plan (STAP) II - Energy Chapter 2021-2027.
The specific objectives of the assignment
- Review available literature on the rationale for formulation of RIDMP STAP II;
- Review of available infrastructure projects web portals;
- Review the assessment of implementation of RIDMP STAP I in order to formulate and set SMART targets for RIDMP STAP II;
- Review key constraints in projects preparation in order to ensure appropriate response measures to challenges of preparation, development and implementation of the projects;
- Review other regional and global strategies inter alia SADC Regional Indicative Strategic Development Plan (RISDP) 2020-30, SADC Industrialisation Strategy and Roadmap 2015-2063, REASAP, REEESAP, RGMP, SAPP Pool Plan, Market and Investment Framework in SADC Power Projects to ensure alignment with the RIDMP STAP II; Map out the linkages in identified projects in the various targeted sectors and develop a holistic integrated / cross sectoral approach to project identification, definition and scoping. This will include but not be limited to using regional development corridors, river basins and spatial development initiatives as the framework for the identification and scoping of projects;
- Review and address bottlenecks when it comes to the delivery of infrastructure projects;
- Set criteria for selection of RIDMP STAP II projects aligned with the second Priority Action Plan for Programme for Infrastructure Development in Africa (PIDA PAP 2) process;
- Formulate an integrated, multi-sectorial infrastructure corridor approach framework;
- Produce KPIs to track, monitor and evaluate implementation of RIDMP STAP II;
- Produce clear steps to enhance the institutional frameworks for RIDMP STAP II implementation;
- Produce clear action plans for SADC Secretariat Divisions supported by the Subsidiary Organisations tasked to implement RIDMP STAP II projects;
- Produce clear action plans for SADC Member States to implement RIDMP STAP II projects;
- Develop the holistic Infrastructure Planning Framework for STAP II for the Implementation of the RIDMP, for the period 2021 - 2027;
- Map out how to incorporate emerging energy technologies, energy transition, institutional and regulatory issues in planning of priority energy infrastructure programmes and projects;
- Outline available financial models for developing projects and recommend suitable models for projects selected in STAP II;
- Estimate costs for projects selected in RIDMP STAP II which do not have cost estimates; and
- Highlight available financial resources within institutions to support the different projects in STAP II including financing windows available with Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs).
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A first degree in Engineering, Energy Planning/Management/Economics or similar disciplines. A specialist higher degree (MSc or similar) in a related field would be an advantage;
- A minimum of 15 years of professional proven experience (in the private and/or public sectors) in one or more areas of the Infrastructure Sector;
- A good knowledge of all aspects of project formulation, implementation and monitoring would be an added advantage;
- Good appreciation of infrastructure project economic analyses;
- Track record of working in the energy sector’s infrastructure development in the SADC region, and with knowledge of the latest infrastructure developments in the sector;
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English. The ability to communicate in Portuguese and French would be an added advantage;
- An understanding of socio-economic conditions and infrastructure problems of the SADC region and the SADC Member States together;
- Computer literacy;
- Ability to work in a team and coordinate the related activities;
- Proven analytical capacity, ability to identify needs and constraints, to set priorities and translate them into action; and
- Excellent oral and written communication and good presentation skills and ability to develop and maintain networks of contacts.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the QCBS method set out in the Regulations.
Expressions of interest must be emailed to the email below, on or before 26 October 2021 at 15:00 hours Central African time and mention "Expression of Interest for Consultancy Services for the Formulation of the SADC Regional Infrastructure Development Master Plan (RIDMP) Short Term Action Plan (STAP) II - Energy Chapter 2021-2027.”
Note: This is a re-advertisement and applicants who have submitted their expression of interest should not resubmit.
Address and Contact:
Southern African Power Pool
Attention: Thembekani Luthuli, SAPP-PAU Procurement Specialist
Tel: +27 10 446 9600
Email Address: email@example.com