JOB VACANCY: TECHNICAL ADVISOR FOR ORPHANS, VULNERABLE CHILDREN AND YOUTH (OVCY)
1.1. The Southern African Development Community (SADC) has fifteen Member States with a population of approximately 292 million and a combined GDP of USD 686.2 billion (2013). The overall objective of SADC is to achieve development and economic growth, which is to be attained through increased regional integration, built on democratic principles and equitable and sustainable development.
1.2. It is following this background that SADC Secretariat wishes to invite suitably qualified, experienced citizens of SADC to apply for the position of Technical Advisor for Orphans, Vulnerable Children and Youth (OVCY), tenable at its Headquarters in Gaborone, Botswana:
2.0 MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
2.1. The Technical Advisor (TA) will provide overall advisory and programme management support to ensure that child and youth vulnerability, development and empowerment take centre stage in a systemic manner, in the social, economic and political development agenda of SADC at regional and national levels.
The TA will monitor national, regional and global trends on OVCY to inform the development and review of better and comprehensive policies, strategies, programs and priorities for orphans and other vulnerable children and youth in SADC.
2.2. Key Result Areas, amongst others:
- Providing leadership and coordinating a systemic /holistic regional program for OVCY in SADC;
- Planning and budgeting for OVCY programme
- Ensuring that issues of OVCY are mainstreamed in relevant directorates, units and sectors at the SADC Secretariat and domesticated and implemented in Member States;
- Representing SADC Secretariat in regional and international forums on OVCY;
- Commissioning and managing research in the SADC region with a view to inform and advise on better targeted policies, strategies and programmes on OVCY;
- Facilitating and coordinating the review, development and harmonization of priority policies and programmes on OVCY in SADC;
- Coordinating the development and implementation of SADC Strategies and Business Plans on OVCY, and ensuring that child and youth vulnerability, development and empowerment issues are integrated and implemented in different sector policies and programmes at national and regional levels. This include but not limited to Health and HIV and AIDS; Education and Skills Training; Science, Technology and Innovation; Employment and Labour; Food and Nutrition; Water and Sanitation; Information, Communication Technology (ICT); Business and Industry and Trade; Gender; Security and Disaster Management; among others as guided from time to time by SADC Regional Integration Priorities such as articulated in the Revised Regional Indicative Strategic Development Plan (RISDP) 2015-2020, and the Industrialisation Strategy 2015-2063;
- Facilitating and forging regional partnerships and networks for collaborating on OVCY in SADC and globally;
- Keeping abreast of national, continental and global policy trends, emerging issues, innovations and best practices on OVCY, and facilitating sharing with Member States and integrating them into the SADC regional agenda on OVCY;
- Coordinating regional monitoring, evaluation and reporting (MER) on OVCY by Member States, and reporting on the implementation of the SADC Strategies and Business Plans on OVCY to SADC policy organs;
- Mobilizing and managing financial and technical resources for the implementation of SADC Strategies and Business Plans on OVCY;
- Coordinating the convening and servicing of technical and policy (ministerial) meetings on OVCY issues; and
- Undertaking any other duties within the SADC Secretariat as may be necessary to promote OVCY work.
3.0 QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- The post requires a Postgraduate Degree in either Public Health, Social Sciences, Project/ Programme Management, Business Management or other relevant field; and
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in development work, at least 5 of which should be in HIV and AIDS, children and youth development and empowerment is required for this post. The candidate must have national and international/regional experience and particularly familiar with the work environment of governments in Southern Africa.
- A working understanding of systemic /holistic approaches to addressing cross sectoral issues such as vulnerable children and youth development and empowerment is required.
- Experience in policy and strategy development.
- Strong networking and partnership building skills
3.1 Other Requirements:
- The candidate should have proven project/ programme leadership and management skills;
- Written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work in multi-cultural and multi-ethic environments;
- Ability to develop/ conceptualise projects and programmes and mobilize financial and technical resources; and
- Fluency in English required with additional fluency in Portuguese and French as an added advantage.
4.0 TENURE OF APPOINTMENT
Two (2) years
Average package of US$ 81, 650 per annum at Job Grade 4.
6.0 SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
Applications must be submitted to:
The Executive Secretary
ATTENTION: Director of Human Resources and Administration or apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
Your application should accompany the following:
a) A short covering letter stating the position that you want to be considered for and describe how your qualifications, experience and competencies are relevant to the position;
b) A detailed and updated curriculum vitae;
c) Certified copies of your degree(s), Diploma(s) and Certificate(s);
d) Duly completed SADC Application Form.
Should you be shortlisted, you will be required to produce evidence of any educational and professional qualifications supporting your applications on the day of your interview.
SADC is an equal opportunity employer and particularly encourage applications from female candidates.
Closing Date: 17 March 2017:
If you are result oriented, you have passion for the transformation and development of Southern Africa, and possess the competencies to meet the new challenges, submit your application now!!!
Only applicants who meet the requirements and have been shortlisted for the interview will be contacted. Should you not hear from the SADC Secretariat within four weeks after closing date, kindly consider your application unsuccessful.
- Eng_ Advert - Technical(OVCY).docx
- FR _ Advert - Technical Advisor (OVCY).docx
- PT_Advert - Technical Advisor (OVCY).docx
- SADC Employment Application Form - English
- SADC - Employment Application Form - French.doc
- SADC Employment Application Form - Portuguese.doc