The programme “Transboundary Water Management in the SADC region” (TWM) has been a key partner for SADC in promoting the regional water sector agenda since 2007. The current phase runs for four years from January 2020 to December 2023. TWM aligns with the SADC Regional Strategic Action Plans for the water sector (RSAP) and is orientated towards promoting water security and climate adaptation through Integrated Water Resource Management (IWRM) approaches. Its objective is to promote the sustainable management of shared water resources at the regional, river basin and national levels. In specific, the programme aims to strengthen the role and capacities of the SADC Water Division to effectively monitor and steer RSAP implementation. The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH therefore invites suitably qualified, experienced, innovative individuals to apply for the following position:
Job Title : Technical Advisor
Job Category : Professional, Band 4
Location : Gaborone, Botswana
Project : GIZ “TWM in the SADC region”, Phase 5
Duration : 1st April 2021 until 31 December 2023
The Technical Advisor will support the SADC Water Division in overseeing the implementation of the RSAP as per the operational plans of the programme.
Responsibilities include in detail:
- Supporting the SADC Water Division and other key stakeholders at regional (SADC subsidiaries), basin (River Basin Organisations) and national level (Member States) on matters pertaining to implementation of IWRM as per the RSAP
- Providing technical inputs and recommendations to strategic and programmatic processes (e.g. project design), publications (e.g. studies and analyses, policy briefs, guidance notes) and learning forums (e.g. workshops and conferences)
- Coordinating activities as per the operational plans of the programme, including amongst others overseeing policy analysis, organisational development measures and capacity needs assessments
- Managing service contracts with consulting firms and/or grant agreements with non-for-profit partners, including coordinating tender processes and proposal and budget negotiations, monitoring and quality controlling implementation, following up on administrative aspects (e.g. invoices and payments)
- Contributing to technical reporting of the programme towards SADC and the German Government as well as other key stakeholders
- A Master’s Degree in relevant field (e.g. IWRM)
- Further training in public policy and administration or similar is an asset
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience (e.g. in water sector, regional integration)
- Previous experience in an international organisation and/or with development partner funded programmes is an asset
Skills and Experience
- In-depth knowledge of state-of-the-art approaches in IWRM and/or regional integration
- Track record of shaping regional, basin-wide and/or national level processes in complex stakeholder settings
- Excellent understanding of the challenges of capacity development in the public and private sector in Southern Africa
- Prior experience in managing service providers, including producing tender documents, managing contracts and quality controlling deliverables
- Excellent written and oral command of English (publications is an asset)
- Self-driven and innovative team player with strategic insight, political sensitivity, excellent communication and interpersonal and intercultural skills
Applicants who apply should enclose current CV, certified copies of certificates, Passport / ID, and two traceable references.
Applications should be addressed to: The Human Resources Manager
P / Bag X12, Village
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hand delivered to: 1st floor Morula House, Plot 54358, Prime Plaza, New CBD, Gaborone
Closing date for application is 27th January 2021.
For further information please contact HR unit at 3957400
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.