The core objective of the Strategic Indicative Plan for the Organ on Defence, Politics and Security, or SIPO, is to create a peaceful and stable political and security environment through which the region will realise its objectives of socio-economic development, poverty eradication, and regional integration.
The Strategic Indicative Plan for the Organ on Defence, Politics and Security is key the implementation framework for the Protocol on Politics, Defence and Security Cooperation (1999). This Protocol is based on the over-arching Objectives and Common Agenda of SADC as stated in Article 5 of the SADC Treaty, and is directly linked to the Regional Indicative Strategic Development Plan (RISDP), which is considered to be the blueprint for development in the region.
Essentially, in planning for development in the SADC region, policy makers must consider that an enabling environment of peace security are required for regional integration and development to take place. Economic growth and development cannot be realised in conditions of political intolerance, security and absence of the rule of law.
The Harmonised Strategic Indicative Plan for the Organ is divided into five main strategic sectors, which are:
- The Political Sector – National government and state/foreign affairs;
- The Defence Sector – focused mostly on military matters – responsible for peace, stability and security;
- The State Security Sector – intelligence/national security, concerned with threats against governments/ Member States;
- The Public Security Sector – protection of civil society - including emergency management, justice, immigration and organised crime;and
- The Police Sector - law enforcement agencies responsible for transnational organised crimes such as drug trafficking,unlawful possession of firearems and stock/property theft.
The Harmonised Strategic Indicative Plan for the Organ outlines specific strategies and objectives for each sector.
Key Relevant/ Related Documentation
- The Harmonised Strategic Indicative Plan for the Organ (SIPO II)
- Protocol on Politics, Defence and Security Cooperation
- Protocol on Firearms, Ammunition and Other Related Materials
- Protocol on Extradition, Against Corruption on Mutual Legal Assistance in Matters of Crime
- Protocol on the Tribunal and the Rules thereof
- The Mutual Defence Pact
- Strategic Indicative Plan for the Organ (SIPO I)