The Southern African Development Community (SADC) Committee of Ambassadors/High Commissioners was established by Council of Ministers on the 25th February 2005. In February 2012, the SADC Council of Ministers met and revised the terms of reference for the committee, which were then approved. Under the revised terms, the functions of the Committee are as follows:
- Advise the SADC National Committees on issues related to the implementation of SADC programmes and activities;
- Facilitate interaction and consultations between Member States and the SADC Secretariat;
- Consider matters related to the implementation of the Regional Indicative Strategic Development Plan (RISDP) and the Strategic Plan of the Organ (SIPO) and make appropriate recommendations to the SADC National Committees;
- Follow-up the implementation of Council decisions; and
- Carry–out any other functions at the behest of Council.