The Southern African Development Community (SADC) Infrastructure and Services Directorate focuses specifically on the development and quality of strategic infrastructure in the Southern African region.Several Protocols have been developed to guide the work of the directorate includnig the Protocols on Shared Watercourses,Tourism Development and Energy.
The Infrastructure and Services Directorate is within the portfolio of the Deputy Executive Secretary: Regional Integration.
The Directorate's activities are co-ordinated by six thematic units that were identified in the Regional Indicative Strategic Development Plan (RISDP), the blueprint for development action in SADC:
- Energy – focusing on electricity and hydropower development;
- Tourism– promoting tourism investment for infrastructure and products;
- Transport–providing strategic support to transport corridors & spatial development initiatives, roads & road transport development, railway infrastructure, air transport & aviation, maritime concerns, and ports & inland waterway development;
- Water Resources Management & Sanitation– supporting and facilitating integrated water resources management, water-related infrastructure, access to clean drinking water and sanitation;
- Meteorology – including a Regional Observation Network, global telecommunications systems for meteorology and Regional Climate Data Processing Centre; and
- Communication – Information and Communications Technologies (ICT) and telecommunications.
The mandates of all SADC Secretariat Directorates and Units are interwoven; supporting the Common Agenda of Regional Integration. Therefore, through its mandate of supporting infrastructure development, the Infrastructure and Services Directorate equally supports socio-economic development by unlockingopportunities for Trade and Economic Competiveness across the region. Increasing the pace of regional development in this way,improves services, creates an enabling environment to facilitate investment in infrastructure, and reduces the cost of doing business in SADC.
The objectives of the Infrastructure and Services Directorate are as follows:
- Promotion, implementation and monitoring of regional Protocols, Policies and Strategies on Energy, Transport and Communication, Tourism and Water that contribute to poverty alleviation;
- Development, promotion and harmonisation of energy, transport and communications, tourism and water policies, strategies, programmes and projects;
- Promotion of an enabling environment for investment in infrastructure;
- Promotion of the development of physical and social infrastructures that contribute to poverty alleviation;
- Coordination and promotion of integrated management of trans-boundary water, tourism, transport and communication and energy resources for regional integration and development;
- Promotion of Capacity Building and Training Programmes to enhance Regional Integration; and
- Promotion of Stakeholder Participation through gender mainstreaming and increased private sector investment.
- The SADC Protocol on the Development of Toursim
- The SADC Protocol on Energy
- The SADC Protocol on Shared Watercourses
- The SADC Protocol on Transport, Communication and Meteorology